Here are ten tips to master frugal grocery shopping. A little planning can save you some big bucks over the long term.
1. Make a list.
Before you head out to the store, prepare a list of everything you need, making sure you have everything needed for your weekly menu. Before you leave, check to make sure you don’t have it in your pantry, fridge or freezer. Stick to that list and don’t buy anything else.
2. Plan a menu.
Plan a weekly menu for each week. This way you will know exactly what to buy. Be sure to plan a leftovers night.
3. Don’t shop hungry.
When you’re hungry, everything looks good. When you shop hungry you’ll end up spending a lot more. Eat first and then you will be able to stick to your list.
4. Set a budget.
When you go to the store, know exactly how much you can spend. Then try your best to stick within that limit. Keep a running tally as you shop to ensure that you’re within your budget.
5. Create a grocery spreadsheet.
Keep your grocery receipts, then enter into a spreadsheet. This will be your price and comparison list. Use it so you know when bulk or sale items are a good deal.
6. Cook and freeze.
Plan to cook a big amount of food and freeze it for multiple dinners. A great idea is to use one Sunday and cook a week’s (or even a month’s) worth of dinners. Plan 5-6 freezable dinners and cook them all at once.
7. Shop for specials.
Every store has specials. Be sure to look for them in the newspaper, or when you get to the store. Don’t buy things you don’t use just because they are on sale; make sure you will use the items.
8. Buy store brands.
Brand names are often no better than generic, and you’re paying for all the advertising they do to have a brand name. Give the store brand a try, and often you won’t notice a difference.
9. No “one-item” trips.
They waste gas, and almost inevitably, you buy more than that one item. If you plan ahead, make a weekly menu, and shop with a list, this should drastically reduce the number of trips you make for a small number of items.
10. Stock up.
Sale items can be a great deal. If it’s an item you normally use, buy a bunch of them.
Truro ListingsTruro, MA - $735,000 - Single-Family - Cape, Antique - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:2Truro, MA - $679,000 - Single-Family - Contemporary, Contemporary - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/1Truro, MA - $510,000 - Single-Family - Other, Antique - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:2Truro, MA - $525,000 - Land - Acres:2.09
Wellfleet ListingsWellfleet, MA - $319,000 - Single-Family - Other - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:1Wellfleet, MA - $495,000 - Condo - - Rooms:4 - Beds:0 - Baths:0/1Wellfleet, MA - $549,900 - Single-Family - Raised Ranch, Contemporary - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2Wellfleet, MA - $1,895,000 - Single-Family - Contemporary, Contemporary - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:2
- IRS Video Makes Same-Sex Spouse Filing Simple March 7, 2014As the countdown to April 15th begins, the Internal Revenue Service has released a new video to their YouTube channel aimed at assisting married same-sex couples maneuver their taxes in a post-Windsor era. […]
- Lawmakers OK new 'upskirting' law in a flash March 7, 2014As she drove down Route 6, heading home after spending Thursday in Boston, state Rep. Sarah Peake was prepared to return to the Statehouse early next week to vote to criminalize "upskirting." […]
- This Just In...3-7-14 March 7, 2014That was Valerie Guertin's brother Bob, not Felicia Penn 's brother , who used to recover quarters people threw from the bulkhead back in the day. […]
- One dolphin dies, four others survive stranding on Cape Cod beach - Boston.com March 7, 2014One dolphin is dead, but four others survived and were returned to the ocean after becoming stranded on a beach in Cape Cod during this morning's low tide, officials said. […]
- IRS Video Makes Same-Sex Spouse Filing Simple March 7, 2014
- Review: Homemade pasta is worth the trip in Truro March 6, 2014When I heard that chef Robert Montano was making homemade pasta at Montano's Restaurant in Truro, I couldn't wait to try it. […]
- Cape News for the Month of March March 4, 20141939: Provincetown voters narrowly defeat a bylaw that would ban wearing shorts and halters in public. […]
- Teen charged with beating 68-year-old released without bail March 4, 2014After spending the weekend in the Barnstable County Correctional Facility, 19-year-old Ryan Chartier of Truro seemed a changed man on Monday. […]
- Notes from Lands End March 2, 2014By Laura Shabott February 15th, 2014 Snow, wind and rain sharpen the palette for good hot food and friends to share it with. […]
- Review: Homemade pasta is worth the trip in Truro March 6, 2014
- Senate OKs billions for transportation March 7, 2014Cape Cod rail service and several other projects are one step closer to reality after the Senate approved a $13 billion bond bill Thursday that would fund improvements to the state's transportation system. […]
- Employment talks offered in Wellfleet March 6, 2014A free five-part series to help Outer Cape residents find or create work beyond traditional approaches will begin Tuesday and continue on April 1, April 15, April 29 and May 13 at the library at 55 W. Main St. The meetings will be from 4 to 6 p.m. The "Ways2Work" program is meant to inspire job seekers to think in new ways, with workshops on ... (m […]
- Third annual Outer Cape recovery project targets 'ghost gear' February 28, 2014The third year of an effort to recover and dispose of abandoned fishing gear, known as "ghost gear," from the seabed along Provincetown, Truro and Wellfleet is underway through March 15, according to the Laura Ludwig, project manager for the Provincetown Center for Coastal Studies. […]
- A daily routine may soon change February 28, 2014Susan Vaughn photos EXCELLENT SERVICE Box Lunch employees are hard at work when the Sturgis Public Charter School students come in. […]
- Senate OKs billions for transportation March 7, 2014