Cove Real Estate



Posted by Cove Real Estate on 10/30/2015

Water damage can ruin a home. Water can be one of the most damaging things to a home and if your home is the victim of water damage you must tackle it right away. Serious health risks can be associated with water damage like mold, mildew, and bacteria growth. If your home has water damage the first thing to do is to get it dry! This may seem obvious, but drying the area out needs to happen as quickly as possible. Not only do you need to dry out the surface or what you can see you have to get deeper. It may seem like your home is dry but damage can happen in walls, wood, carpet and furniture. Insufficient drying can lead to mold and mildew growth, and harmful bacteria. In extreme cases there can be structural damage to the home. The best thing you can do is to call a licensed water damage restoration specialist to evaluate the damage. Professionals have access to the tools and technology to dry out your home and prevent harmful fungi and bacteria from growing. Professionals will typically use dehumidifiers, air purifiers, blowers, fans, and special floor driers and cleaners. If the damage is extreme it may require wall driers, sanitizers, and mold and mildew remediation techniques. In this case call the professionals because it is better safe than sorry.





Posted by Cove Real Estate on 4/27/2012

Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any organic substance, as long as moisture and oxygen are present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, foods, and insulation. When excessive moisture accumulates in buildings or on building materials, mold growth will often occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or unaddressed. It is impossible to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment. Here are ten things you need to know about mold from the United States Environmental Protection Agency.

  1. Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints.
  2. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
  3. If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
  4. Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
  5. Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by: venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside; using air conditioners and de-humidifiers; increasing ventilation; and using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing, and cleaning.
  6. Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
  7. Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.
  8. Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
  9. In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
  10. Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
 




Categories: Buying a Home